Month: December 2017
Here’s all the stuff I’m working on for the site..
This is coming along still, I’m trying to come up with some of the icons/other graphics for it. As well as make sure there’s no errors with the color scheme/CSS so you don’t have disappearing text and whatnot. I don’t think any of this will be ready before the end of the year, I’m still wondering if the version 7 update for Template Toaster will be out of beta soon and if I could implement fixes from that before actually putting the new design up. I’m also thinking of having two color schemes, so one could be a “night” or “dark” theme if users want that. But that would take a bit longer to do since it’s more testing and designing.
I’m also still trying to think of a good new logo design.
Since I’ve shut down the other site I had my Xenforo license in use at, I can finally just go ahead and install it here. But before I do that I need to both renew the license ($40 for a year) and I want to get an SSL certificate for the site. In the simplest teams, that just means you would see https in the URL bar. This isn’t a top priority right now, since that would also cost more money (although I think there’s a different plan with my host that gives one SSL setup for free for the first year or something). The other advantage of getting this is that it would help with Google rankings, the site is already doing OK there for the most part but anything that helps get traffic here is good.
I’ve been messing with a user profile plugin thing on the test site, it’s not going to do exactly what I want but for now it might be good enough. At least to let people pick their favorite Harmon show or whatever.
Site Content(Community/Rick and Morty/etc)
This is the biggest thing that I need to work on right now, there’s still a TON of content missing from the site. I’ll try to detail it all below so you can all see what a failure I’ve been at keeping this site up to date.
RICK AND MORTY
- All of the individual episode pages for season three need to be added
- I want to go back and redo the episode pages for the first two seasons to make them look consistent across all the seasons, and be better looking as well.
- Quotes pages for season 2 and 3 need to be made, which will definitely take a while to do. I probably also have to go back and check the season one section as well.
- I want to make a section with detailed character listings for every major character in the series.
- A page with various video clips/character compilations, these are all over Youtube but since there is a Youtube channel for the site I’d like to make them myself if I ever get the energy.
- GIFs. I need to make more of them as currently I had only made some for part of the first season. Now I also either need to host them directly on the site or find an image CDN provider. This also applies to Community as I no longer have a paid Photobucket account.
- Put up an actual, detailed, show page linking all the various sections.
- Redo every episode page to look the same as the Rick and Morty ones, which will take quite a while.
- Add the rest of the sixth season quotes pages, as well as going through all the previous pages and checking for any typos or errors.
- Add more detailed descriptions to the character page, as well as the rest of the non-main cast characters.
- Add more recurring gags, with video.
- Clean up the merchandise pages so they’re better organized.
- Basically everything.
- Episode pages for both seasons.
- Quotes pages.
- Character descriptions.
- An official merchandise section if needed.
- Redo the existing episode pages and add the rest of the first (and only I guess) season.
- As much as I’d like to I don’t think uploading the episodes themselves would be a good idea. Don’t need this site getting shut down lol.
There’s probably a lot more I’m forgetting, but that’s a major part of it. I would like to really get this site turned into a good resource for information on all of Dan’s shows, not just a top search result for rick and morty merchandise. Also remember we have a Discord server so you can come and chat about the site or Dan or whatever.
A couple weeks I wrote a post about what I wanted to do with the site, and one of the things I mentioned was the forum. I mentioned I wanted to switch the forum from VBulletin to Xenforo but didn’t have a license available to use, since I was using my current one on another site. Well, since then I’ve decided to close that forum down so that license is now available for me to use here. I still have to pay to extend it another yet but that’s only $40 I think.
So now at some point I’ll be trying to get that installed and transfer everything over.
Other than that, I’m still working on a new design. I’m kinda stuck on it right now, can’t decide on some of the color scheme. I’ve been testing a few things (have a separate site up for that) with plugins and whatnot.
I might start adding more actual content to the site before all of that is ready, at least I should if I want this place to get more traffic.